Sunday, September 30, 2012

A Donation, and Some Progress on the Mini-Bike!

So today, I picked up a donation from a customer of my Dad's landscaping business. She sold these Chinese scooters for a short period of time, and had these 2 scooters as parts donors. She didn't need them anymore, so she graciously gave them to me. The first thing I realized about these scooters is that the motors are centrally located within the wheel. Thus far, I have noted that I can most likely use the 12 volt batteries, throttle potentiometer, charger, and key start. The controller is configured for a dual motor system, so it's unusable. I also tried starting the mini-bike today. The bowl in the carb was leaking, turned out that the O-ring was put on backwards. I reassembled the carb, no more leaks, the spark plug was sparking and fuel seemed to get to the cylinder, but it still wouldn't start. My Dad and I will probably head down to the local lawn-mower shop tomorrow to ask for advice to get the engine running. I will update tomorrow if I make any progress.


The Batteries. They are those green boxes and they are very small, which will make it easy to mount on the mini-bike. 
The throttle potentiometer. It also has a built in switch, which I might use instead of the key system if it doesn't work out. 
Keys would be so cool and secure to use on my mini-bike. Also adds to the realisticness of the whole idea of electric transportation.

No comments:

Post a Comment